Omega-3 fatty acids are famous for various health benefits that range from increased cognitive function to something as easy and essential as weight loss. Though food sources like fish (sardines and mackerel), nuts, oils and some plants contain omega-3, many people prefer taking fish oil capsules as supplements.
However these capsules shouldn’t be given to children unless directed by a doctor. Moreover, like any other supplement, it is better to consult your doctor before taking any omega-3 supplement because of the potential drug interactions and side effects.
Here is a list of some of the more prominent and important benefits of omega-3 fatty acids from Melbourne, Florida pediatrician:
- One benefit of omega-3 fatty acids is that it is involved in the body’s inflammatory response and inflammation cycle and thus helps provide relief from swelling. This in turn helps reduce pain associated with this inflammation.
- Omega 3 provides for better brain function and higher intelligence. This is why pregnant and nursing mothers who include omega-3 in their diets see a marked improvement in their baby’s intelligence. Moreover, adults experience improved memory, recall, focus and reasoning just by taking fish oil on a regular basis.
- The DHA, DPA and EPA in fish oil also have a positive effect on heart diseases and thus induce superior cardiovascular health. This is why it helps keep your heart free from heart diseases and also helps lower the risk of death from heart diseases. In fact, some researchers claim that fish oil is more effective in reducing death from heart attacks than the more commonly used cholesterol-lowering drugs called ‘statins’.
- Omega 3 or fish oil also helps make you feel better so that you undergo minimal depression. This is because fish oil helps alleviate any symptoms of bipolar, psychosis and depression you undergo.
- Women will also be happy to learn that omega 3 helps reduce menstrual pain. In other words, fish oil has a positive effect on the discomfort some women experience during their menstrual cycle. In fact, women who either take fish oil alone, or with vitamin B12 experience a reduction in painful periods and thus see a reduced need for pain medications like non-steroidal inflammatory drugs.
- Fish oil is also known to offer protection from a heart attack and stroke. Plaque naturally tends to accumulate on arterial walls and after some time, tends to break loose through a process called thrombosis. Thrombosis actually leads to a clot and it is when this clot gets stuck in the brain that it causes a stroke. Similarly, when a clog plugs an artery, it leads to a heart attack. So all this can be prevented just by consuming fish at least once or twice a week wherein it helps reduce the chances of a stroke by as much as 27%.
So taking a look at all these benefits, you realize how much you can improve your health just by eating more fish or at least by regularly taking some pure fish oil supplements. This is the only and best way you can reap the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids.