Everybody wants to live a long, happy life. Your diet is essential to your health, and you should be exercising around 3-5 days a week to keep your body in top condition. While genetics do play a role in your life, it’s the choices you make on a daily basis that determine how long you will live. Following these steps from your Melbourne, Florida pediatrician can help you live a healthier life.
1.Implement a healthy diet. Include whole grains, spices, vegetables and fruits, nuts, and minimize unhealthy fats such as trans fats and (unnatural) saturated fats, choose instead foods high in healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
2. Try to get regular physical exercise. 3-5 days a week should not be too difficult. Brisk walking for 30 minutes 4-5 times a week is just as good, and some studies prove, even better than running.
3. If you smoke — QUIT! The number 1 cause of preventable death is cigarette smoking. View our useful links page to learn more.
4. Consider supplements. A multivitamin is a good start to make sure you’re getting the proper vitamins and minerals daily. Make sure you’re getting enough calcium and vitamin B, C, and D.
5. Build a strong social network and have a sense of purpose. Get out in your community and be active.
6. Although this is a no-brainer, practice good oral hygiene. Oral hygiene is tied to overall health. Brush, floss, and rinse on a regular basis.
7. Keep your mind fresh. Always keep learning, engage in new activities and challenge your mind regularly.